Establishing relationships with your elected officials is a vital part of creating long lasting change.
In order to do so, it’s important to do some initial research. The South Dakota legislature’s website is a valuable resource for information on your legislators and the legislative process. It’s where you go to:
- Find your legislators
- Find contact information for state representatives and senators
- Find out which bills have been introduced and where they are in the process
- Find out which legislators sit on which committees
- Listen to committee hearings, testimony, and floor sessions either live or, in most case, recorded.
Additional sources of information:
- Find live and recorded audio of committee and floor hearings on SDBP’s Statehouse website and YouTube channel
- Follow #SDLeg on Twitter for breaking news and coverage
- Sign up to receive ACLU of South Dakota's e-mails for breaking news and legislative action alerts.
Another great way to research your legislator is by attending a legislative cracker barrel or coffee in your district. These events offer a chance to access your legislators and find out their position on topics that are important to you. Check out this handy list of Legislative Cracker Barrels scheduled around the state.