Some things go better if you’re prepared. Get ready to vote and make your voice heard!
The fight for voting rights remains as critical as ever. Politicians across the country continue to engage in voter suppression, efforts that include additional obstacles to registration, cutbacks on early voting, and strict voter identification requirements. Through litigation and advocacy, the ACLU is fighting back against attempts to curtail an essential right to our democracy: the right to vote.
Here are a few ways you can be prepared to get your vote in easily, get your vote counted, and make sure your voice is heard in South Dakota:
Check your voter registration status at least 30 days before the election.
Locate your polling place and note the hours of operation.
Consider voting early or absentee if possible. If you plan to vote at the polls, go early in the day to avoid the last-minute rush.
Make sure your ID is valid and up to date.
If anyone challenges you about voting, don't get mad - get help or call our voting information hotline at 866-OUR-VOTE (687-8683).
Where to register to vote
- County Auditor’s office
- Driver’s license offices
- Municipal finance office
- Public assistance agencies providing Medicaid, food stamps, TANF, or WIC
- Department of Human Services offices that serve the disabled
- Military recruitment offices
- Secretary of State’s Office
- South Dakota Secretary of State
- U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division, Voting Section
- If you have problems voting or have additional questions, please call the national, non-partisan Election Protection hotline:
- English: 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683)
- Spanish: 1-888-VE-Y-VOTA (1-888-839-8682)
- Arabic: 1-844-YALLA-US (1-844-925-5287)
- Bengali, Cantonese, Hindi, Urdu, Korean, Mandarin, Tagalog, or Vietnamese: 1-888-274-8683
Please note, this page is a resource, not legal advice. It is provided for informational purposes only. South Dakota may revise its laws after this page is printed or published online. If you believe your rights have been violated or for more information on your rights as a voter, contact us at aclusd.org or email firstname.lastname@example.org.