“Does my opinion really matter?”
“Is my legislator actually going to listen to me?”
“I’m just one person. What can I really do?”
You’ve probably heard people say things like that before. You’ve probably said things like that before.
But that’s where you’re wrong. One person really can make a difference. And we’re going to show you how.
Join the ACLU of South Dakota over the next few months for the Advocacy Academy, a series of comprehensive virtual trainings and community hours designed to teach you how to make a difference in your community on a state and local level.
Whether you are fighting for LGBTQ+ and Two Spirit equality, Indigenous justice, criminal law reform, reproductive freedom, or all of that and more, the Advocacy Academy will give you the foundational knowledge and skills you need to be an effective advocate for making change.
You’ll learn the basics of organizing and campaigning, gain a foundational knowledge of conflict management strategies, dive into the art of storytelling, and learn how to put everything together for legislative advocacy.
The Advocacy Academy will take place online. Thanks to the pandemic, we are, of course, still living in a bit of a virtual world these days. But it also just makes sense. South Dakota is a big state – and many of us are miles and miles apart. By doing things virtually, we have the opportunity to include more South Dakotans in this important learning series.
Watch each session as soon as it premieres (see the dates below) or make time to watch it on your schedule. But make sure to save the date for the community hours. That’s where you’ll get the chance to meet and connect with advocates and changemakers just like you who are ready to make a difference in our state. We’ll send you all the links and details after registration.
Session 1 – Introduction to Organizing and Campaigning
- Explore the fundamentals of organizing and dive into the details of campaign planning and implementation. Premieres on Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. CT.
- Community Hour – 7 p.m. CT Nov. 17
Session 2 – Becoming a Conflict Competent Advocate
- Strengthen your social skills and learn about conflict management and advocacy strategy. Premieres on Dec. 1 at 7 p.m. CT.
- Community Hour – 7 p.m. CT Dec. 8
Session 3 – The Art of Storytelling
- Connect with people and persuade them to take action through personal stories. Premieres on Dec. 15 at 7 p.m. CT.
- Because of the December holidays, there will be no Community Hour for Session 3. Rest up, enjoy time with family and friends, and get ready for 2022!
Session 4 – Fundamentals of Legislative Advocacy
- Learn about the South Dakota legislative process and influence what happens in 2022 with tips and resources for effective legislative advocacy. Premieres on Jan. 5 at 7 p.m. CT.
- Community Hour – 7 p.m. CT Jan. 12.
It sounds like a lot, but don’t worry – there won’t be any tests or homework. But you will learn a lot, and, forgive us if this sounds a little cheesy, you’ll have a lot of fun doing it, too!
Join people just like you who are ready to make a difference in our state as you dig deeper into the resources you need to take action and make change.